Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Starting Over Once again

I created this blog for my training in 2011 Ironman Wisconsin, after not finishing in 2010.  I never got around to blogging about it, so this blog sat empty and lonely. This past Sunday was this years Ironman Wisconsin race, and I was back to finish up business. Again it wasn't my day. This time I basically had it... and managed to make a wrong turn around mile 18 of the marathon. It was in an unfortunate spot, and the mistake added about 3 miles to my race. 3 miles which I could not afford to add and still beat the clock. It was a bit tragic after all I've been though with the past 2 years of training, but what can you do.

I didn't sign up right away for a third time. I went home and thought about it. I really was not expecting registration to be open by the time I got back. Normally the race fills withing minutes/hours. Yet, late Monday it sat there open... waiting for me. I was considering doing a different race. Perhaps Ironman Arizonia next year instead? It is a flatter and slightly more forgiving course. Especially to those of us who don't fit the triathlete body type. You see, I raced this years race still carrying much more weight then I wanted to. I'm still clocking in at just over 200-lbs and only 5'5. The bike course there is pretty unforgiving. There are relentless rolling hills... for hours on end... not exactly designed for your Athena type triathlete.

But another race just wouldn't feel right. My heart is with Ironman Wisconsin and I need to finish up business there.

So this is the year. 2012 is going to be the year. 133 miles ('10) and 135 miles ('11) and 140.6 miles is what it takes to make this girl an Ironman. So, as they say. The third times a charm right?

No comments:

Post a Comment